Improving the lives of our members
In an effort to improve the benefits provided the members of the Florida National under the State Sponsored Life Insurance (SSLI) payroll authority afforded to the National Guard Association of Florida, our carrier, Armed Forces Benefit Association and 5-Star Life, offers a program of “no cost” coverage on all members of the Florida Army and Air National Guard.
State Sponsored Life Insurance (SSLI) is a program that provides group term life insurance exclusively for National Guard members and their dependents. The program is derived from United States Public Law 93-289, May 24, 1974, to encourage persons to join and remain in the National Guard. It is available in all fifty states and territories.
This benefit is currently $1,000.00 payable within 24 hours to the beneficiary designated by the Guard member. If the member has not completed the beneficiary information, the check will be made out to their estate. We hope that each unit will assist us by providing fifteen minutes annually for an SSLI briefing allowing Guard members to complete this paperwork and review additional coverage available with premium payroll deducted. If deploying, for example, a Guard member under the age of 50 can obtain $260,000.00 of SSLI coverage for only $23.66 payroll deducted.
If you or any of your unit members have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact in the office of our administrator toll free at 800 462-7441.
If you would like to schedule a benefits briefing, please contact the enrollment supervisor, Monty Neilson toll free at (800) 462-7441
We appreciate your assistance in disseminating this update to all unit members ASAP. SSLI is another excellent benefit offered to members of the Florida National Guard through your Association.
- 1,000 no cost life insurance coverage on Soldiers and Airmen
- $10,000 to $260,000 additional coverage available for Soldiers and Airmen
- $5,000 to $155,000 available for spouses
- $5,000 to $35,000 available for children
- Protection continues until age 70
- Provides an emergency death benefit up to $25,000 within 24 hours
- Benefits remain the same and monthly costs does not change when you retire or separate from the National Guard
- No war, aviation, or terrorism clauses
- You are protected 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and on or off duty
- Monthly premiums are payroll deducted for your convenience
- $40,000 scholarship fund available to a dependent when military member is insured for $100,000 of qualifying coverage and dies in a combat zone or due to an act of terrorism